Summary of Position:
College Access Plan (CAP) seeks one Program Assistant for the duration of two school semesters. Under the direct supervision of the Middle School Program Manager, the Middle School Program Assistant leads interactive and creative after school programs at select partnership schools in the Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD) for groups of up to 30 students. The Program Assistant is energetic and creative, a team player who is engaging in the classroom and eager to collaborate with CAP staff to create middle school curricula that excites young students about college. With an eye towards equitable access to postsecondary education for all, the Program Assistant’s primary focus is to prepare underserved middle school students for success in higher education in accordance with the organization’s mission.
- Directly facilitate in-class instruction at middle school after school sites;
- Maintain on-campus after school program space at each site, including
the direct supervision of students in the program;
- Assist with after school activities, small group advising initiatives, and parent meetings as needed;
- Assist with coordinating activities with program partners;
- Collaborate with lead program staff to modify and develop curriculum in support of student success;
- Copy and prepare program materials;
- Set appointments with students and send reminders;
- Monitor student grades/credits to promote completion of middle school course
- Monitor program success, including levels of participation, quality of activities, and impact;
- Maintain accurate and complete records of student data and participation in CAP
- Treat student personal information with sensitivity and maintain FERPA standards of privacy for all student records;
- Recognize and celebrate student success.
- Must be available Monday – Thursday (12pm -5pm) with occasional evening and weekend work;
- Bachelor’s Degree required (minimum), preferably in the areas of in education, counseling, social work, or child development;
- Must be a dynamic, interactive professional with a strong desire to work directly with middle school students in both one-on-one and large classroom settings;
- Experience working with low-income students of color;
- Basic knowledge of high school requirements, A-G requirements, postsecondary education options, application procedures and admission requirements;
- Strong ability to communicate with students, parents, volunteers, and school staff and faculty verbally and in writing;
- Must be familiar with Mac OS and possess experience with basic office software and common social media platforms;
- Well-developed organizational skills with a solid orientation to detail;
- Creative and critical thinker with a desire to learn;
- Must have reliable transportation;
- Must complete Pasadena Unified School District background check, including Department of Justice clearance and TB test.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
▪ Fluent in Spanish
▪ Classroom teaching experience
▪ Familiarity with the greater Pasadena community
On-the-job training will be provided.
Send Résumé and Cover Letter to:
Joanne Do, Managing Director
College Access Plan is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.